Saturday, July 30, 2016

Early Shore Birding On Hot Summer Days

 We've had 15 days this month in Connecticut with high temps in the 90's. Humidity is my Kryptonite and the only birding that is tolerable for me in those conditions is to head to the shoreline early in the morning. That way, I can avoid the heat, beach crowds, and parking fees. It's also beautiful at the shoreline when the sun is still low on the horizon.
 My plan is to enjoy whatever I can see before it gets hot.The last couple of years I've had good luck finding Yellow-crowned Night Herons which have been a challenge to find for some birders. I have a much harder time finding the supposedly more common Black-crowned Night-Herons.
 I'm more than satisfied to catch a quick glimpse of a Great Egret staring into its reflection...
......before it plunges his head into the water. By 9am I'm ready to put the pedal to the metal and head for the air conditioning!

4 comments:

Linda said...

How gorgeous, Larry! And I love the reflections in your last photos!

Anonymous said...

Larry, great pix and I know what you mean about this humidity...I hate it myself and haven't gone kayaking either!!! Of course, I'm not close to the shore...takes me a while to get there but those birds would be worth it!...:)JP

troutbirder said...

Good plan . When its to hot and humid head indoors....;)

Richard said...

Gorgeous great excellent! And what not! Birding is a great way to ignore hot! :)